B-day travels

If you can make one heap of all your winnings,
And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss...
Rudyard Kipling
(1865-1936)


Today is the day I abandon my 25s to begin a new adventure through my 26s. This has been my best year so far… it began with my return from China, from a new horizon, from my latest adventure then, with a new state of mind, and a new proposal: to live. Intensely. And so I have, hence this wonderful year that has taken me to Paris, to London, to my usual places, to new ones, and a little nearer to that person I’m becoming, who I want to be.


Through all this year I’ve discovered there are many ways you can travel. You can travel from a towel lying on a beach, from a memory or from a Mission to Mars. You can travel, too, from your job in a fast consumer goods company and, what is more, you ought to.


Because to travel is to leave, to move, the opposite to comply. Because to feel comfortable doesn’t necessarily mean to feel good, it means to give up feeling, being better. And I was tired of all that. Last year, about to turn 25 and with a gin and tonic in my hand, after a revelation between dances on a Shanghai terrace, I made the decision that was about to chance my life for better: renounce to those ties that bind me, and move, move forward. There have been countless of times when I’ve wanted the journey to end, about to give up after disappointments and hard times. But it was in those times that I tried to remember why I decided to travel, and learnt from the mistakes. After moments of apparent failure I’ve decided to step up, and continue going. I wanted to keep travelling.


Travelling is therefore fundamental. Because it doesn’t only mean going from A to B… true journey commences when there’s no B. It’s then that travelling becomes exploring, and the exploring itself transforms every single one of the steps you take, making them something both thrilling and exiting. The journey becomes something more than leaving, that moving, it helps you explore the person you are. It makes you grow:


China opened my mind at 24, preparing me for 25. It opened my eyes to both my inner self, and the people that surrounded me. It showed me the barriers of communication, and the joys of learning from scratch.


Paris showed me what wonderful people you can meet at work. How you can visit a city twice and live it so very differently, that it becomes a different city altogether.


Exploring Spain on my work journeys has enriched my job knowledge on both people, and my work.


And London… London has been awesome. London has taken me a step nearer to my dreams. It has made them approachable, it has showed me that I can. That I will. It has set the rhythm to what I want to do in the future, and has showed be there’s also a wonderful joy in travelling alone.


To all of you that have been left behind on my journey, for any reason, I’m sure time will bring us together again. It already has, in some cases. Any how, you’ve been wonderful companions, and I’m sure I could think a lesson I’ve learned for every single one of you.


For all of you who are still travelling with me, thank you for keeping at my side. Thank you for enriching my 25s, and take me to my 26s in just the way I’m now, cause I’m having the time of my life.


If show must go on… let the journey continue!

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Recomendaciones de Agnes: “La Canción de Aquiles” y “Circe” de Madeline Miller

Lunes de los 5 Sentidos 734

#ChezAgnesWritings: Sorpresas de Primavera